Today should be Tuesday so I can do another 7 Quick Takes, but I really don't want it to actually be Tuesday again... but it's one of those days where I have a zillion things on my mind, none of which I want to torture anyone with a full blog post on, so here are The 7 Wonders of Wednesday instead:
1. I really, really dislike (okay, hate) the thing where people think it's cool to disparage someone who has just died. Fine, you may not be a fan of Sen. Kennedy's politics, so then just keep your trap shut. What happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." You're on my Facebook page and now I think you're an asshole, so good job to you.
2. If anyone says anything to me today about how terrible the idea of universal healthcare is, I may just clock them. I had to turn down a really wonderful opportunity because it would not allow me to carry health insurance for my husband or any future children at anything less than a prohibitively exorbitant cost. I should not have to make career decisions based on my healthcare requirements.
3. That said, I was able to refer a good friend for the opportunity and am really hoping she gets it. Then at least something good will have come of this.
4. When I was trying to make this crazy decision yesterday, I honestly did not know what to do. I spoke to the hubby and he was just as stuck as I was. So I called my dad and he talked me through the whole thing. I am SO very, very lucky to have such a wonderful, giving, intelligent, sensitive man as a dad.
5. My nephew, TJ, is obsessed with "Pop-Pop" (my dad). Every time the phone rings, he says, "Pop-Pop?" He spots him first in every picture and just generally loves the daylights out of him. My sister took him to visit Pop-Pop at work the other day:
When my sister's husband came home, he asked TJ, "Did you have fun with Pop-Pop today?" and TJ said, "Happy!" Awwww... Couldn't you just melt? I was pretty much a puddle when I heard that. But anything that kid does turns me into a puddle.
(And TJ is less than a year and a half old... he looks so much older to me. He's growing like a weed, as my friend Robin says.)
6. I absolutely adore the whole "Back to School" vibe that goes on at this time of year. It brings back great memories because I was always so thrilled to go back to school every autumn. What I don't like is seeing parents say things like, "Haha, time for the kiddos to go back to school - suckers!" That's just fantastic - instill a hatred of learning in them. Good parenting. (Yes, after a short, happy TJ break, we are back to the crank.)
7. I keep one of our wedding thank-you cards on my desk because looking at it makes me happy - so happy that sometimes I start to cry when I look at it (*sigh* - I'm a mess).
my illustrious desk at work
And, yes, that's the thank-you card my dad designed for us. Isn't it awesome? I love it so much.
The lesson for today? When everything is stressing me out, I find a lot of comfort and happiness in my family. I know that's not true for everyone (and it's certainly not true for all of my family members) but a good family member - or two or three or four - can be a great haven in a storm.