I love when life forces me to feel happy when I really, really want to wallow. Well, that's not entirely true. Sometimes I get peeved because when I want to wallow, I really want to wallow. But that doesn't make for good blog reading and throughout most of last week I didn't post anything because I was in just too miserable of a mood. And I wondered, how would I do my countdown on Monday? What in the world could I be grateful for, much less what five things, ugh!
But life can be surprising, in the simplest, most pleasant ways.
Five Things I'm Grateful For
1. A reader of this blog sent me a Barnes and Noble gift card so that I could buy Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. Just typing that sentence is making me tear up. I am so astounded and grateful for this act of generosity and really cannot believe that someone that I don't actually "know" in the real-life sense cares enough to do something so remarkably nice. Thank you, Rebecca - thank you so very, very much. I cannot wait to post about the book and I promise to pay this kind deed forward.
2. The whole weekend was warm, if a bit rainy at times. But what this means is that the crazy ice and snow melted a bit. There are still two, three, four foot mounds of snow on every available patch of grass, but the sidewalks around my house are 98% ice free, which makes walking the dogs significantly easier.
3. Which brings me to the third thing I'm grateful for, which is the hubby's general attitude. We have had a rough week with the dogs, Buster in particular. And I always find myself fighting the urge to punt Buster to the moon. He seriously makes me want to throttle him. Well, last night we came home from a lovely SuperBowl watching evening at my parents' house to find quite the doggy mess. The hubby, while extremely pissed off, didn't yell, didn't physically threaten either dog. He just muttered and swore quietly while he cleaned. I think most other people may have blown their top, but he was so remarkably calm. One of us has to be and I'm glad it's him.
4. My mom made all sorts of yummy food for the SuperBowl and sent us home with all the leftovers. Yum!
5. Saturday we went to see Kate so she could take Nate's Valentine's card pictures. It was really good to see her for the first time in two months, to get out of the house and out of the immediate area for a few hours, to take a drive with my two guys, and to have Kate get to see how much Nate has grown in the past two months. It was a really great afternoon.
Four Things I Can't Stop Thinking About
1. My student loan check. It should come in the mail any day now. Please let that day be today.
2. The dogs. Well, mainly Buster. Oreo is twelve years old, so when she has an incident in the house, I know why it is and there's usually something I could have done differently. But with Buster, there's just no pattern, no predicting, no correcting. I don't know what to do.
3. Homework. I did NOT finish my homework this weekend. School is tomorrow. I'm at work today. The hubby has errands to run tonight. Gah. I really, really need to figure out how to fit in my schoolwork to our new life. It's so hard to leave Nate with the hubby in the other room after a long day of work and go do homework. I'd much, much rather play with Nate.
4. Pants. Have I mentioned I need new pants? Once we have a little bit of funds, I have to buy maybe two pairs of inexpensive work pants. (And did I ever mention that when I dress Nate, I sing, "Pants pants pants pants" to the tune of that really awful "Shots" song? Ha. So now every time I even type the word pants, I hear that in my head.)
Three Things I Want To Accomplish This Week
1. FINISH MY FRIGGIN HOMEWORK BEFORE MONDAY MORNING. Must figure this out (and next weekend is buuuuusy so this will be a really good week to figure out how to do this).
2. Actually complete the laundry. Because we are still living without a working dryer, we machine wash and then air-dry all our clothes, so it takes a full day to do a load of laundry or two because of the drying time. So we haven't actually done all the laundry in over a month and there are things at the bottom of the hamper that I'd like to wear again at some point.
3. Get a new student ID. Turns out that taking a semester off from grad school made my ID "dead" so I have to go get a new one.
(Note: Notice I did not say I wanted to move the Christmas decorations and supplies to my parents' house - because it got done! Finally!! Hurrah!)
Two Things I Am Working To Be Positive About
1. Buster. I want to punt him. But more than that, I want to figure out how to help him become a good dog. I just can't figure it out.
2. The hubby's job prospects. This job market is truly frightening and without a four year degree, he's at an additional disadvantage. I just want him to find something and not knowing when that'll happen is scary.
One Random Thing
1. My bloggy (ha, blahggy) friend Liza from Blahggy is a panelist on Momversation! Her first video posted today. I absolutely adore Momversation (and have since before I was even pregnant, when they first began) so I am so incredibly proud of Liza and so remarkably jealous. What an awesome opportunity. Check out her first video.
So, what's going on with your five this week? Please share - I do love to read your lists. Linky Tools now charges for links so no more Linky, boo. But please leave a link in the comments if you do the Monday Five, okay? I really love to see your lists. :)